Monday, June 20, 2011

Less than two weeks to go!

--and we are still recruiting kids from Lincoln and Normandin!  I am hoping for about a dozen kids.  They will do experiments in pairs or larger teams, work on their boat models in pairs, and build the real boats in teams of four, all in and around St. Andrews.  Pastor Rebecca Homans Blair gave me only a few requirements for the program: the kids should experience beauty, feel curiosity and wonder, and become more literate.  We will be doing our best!

In the meantime, I am still doing the detailed planning and building a prototype of the paddling boat I will build with the kids.

Here's a sample of what we'll be doing.

Our first wood-working project: a two-pan balance.

Our first experiments: what makes some things float and others sink?


Models we might make.

Building the prototype boat: a thirteen-footer for two paddlers.  First the sides are cut out.

Sides are attached to the center frame.  (The kids will be using all these tools and more.)

Let's see what it will look like when we "go 3D."

No comments:

Post a Comment