Thursday, June 23, 2011

A second day's recruiting at Lincoln

Mr. Rumberger, Assistant Principal, helped me set up in the library after lunch today, where I had a chance to talk to children who were interested in the program.  After I talked to the kids, showed slides, showed tools we would be using, and let them handle models they might build, my message was simple:

Talk to your parents, ask them to fill out the application and return it to school tomorrow!  That's the surest way to be accepted into the program. 

Those who wait to bring the application on the first day of camp (July 5) cannot be accepted if we are full (twelve kids).

I have posted the slides I showed the kids at top right of the page.  Since the captions don'e show, I'll explain them briefly.  There are seven slides showing the boats I have built: four of the two-masted, twenty-foot boat Beatrice Ann that is my largest, then a photo each of my littlest (eleven-foot) sailboat, my kayak, and my newest sailboat with wrap-around windows.  There is a picture of objects we might experiment on to learn about floating and sinking, a picture of the balance we will build to help with experiments as well as practice wood-working skills, three photos of scale models I made while trying to choose a boat to build at camp, and three photos of a prototype camp boat now under construction.

Tomorrow I will talk to Mr. Rumberger and find out how many applications are in.

No comments:

Post a Comment